Friday 23 October 2020

Kaya Fraser responds to A is for Avant Garde, Z is for Zero







Shot description and workbook for Riddles of the Sphinx, Laura Mulvey and Peter Wollen, C. 1977
Installation views, Cooper Gallery 2020. Photos by Kaya Fraser



The Familiar



Lockdown domestic viewing rooms


screens + art, screens + talks, screens + films


screens, you will not find in the stream,


missing and embracing the familiar concurrently




the old familiar doors are open, viewing rooms returned


processes of sharing spaces transparently vail the displays


similarities transpire, drawn from their domestic versions


like private viewing to embrace, the room is yours



I took the room for myself, rejoicing in the carefully curated


inside a vitrine a single side of A4 with typed text, spins in my memory,


the words 'SPHINX' and 'KITCHEN' rekindle,


the domestic and institutional collide



I'm at my kitchen table, I have signed into culture


like every scene, her room, it spins, I look up to my room


stationary I sit, still, the walls move clockwise, eyes closed


the projection of the domestic engrained in the memory




familiar


______________
Exhibition invigilators were invited to respond to an aspect of the exhibition A is for Avant-Garde, Z is for Zero

Kaya Fraser is an artist, DJCAD graduate and committee member of GENERATORprojects. Visit her website: www.theeverydayarchivist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment